With the days getting longer and temperatures (slowly) rising, summertime is here. You may live to spend time outdoors or at the beach during the sunny days of the month, but damaging UV rays of the sun degrade the protective protein in hair—which oxidizes the color to a brassy hue, wipes out shine, leaving your hair dry and brittle. On top of that, your hair loses the nourishment from unwanted humidity, and moisture-zapping chlorine and saltwater.
Follow these 5 tips to protect your hair and keep it looking and feeling great this summer season:
- Combat humidity with conditioner: Summertime weather can bring humidity, which wreaks havoc on all hair types. Fine, thick, straight or curly, the same is true. As the temperatures rise, you need to re-think your conditioning products.
- Condition Hair Before Swimming: Rinsing and conditioning your hair before you jump in the pool will help prevent chlorine from seeping into the hair strands which can dry out your hair.
- Wear a Hat in the Sun: The sun can wreak havoc on your hair. Wearing a hat when you spend time outdoors will protect any coloring treatment and keep your natural, beautiful hair.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water during the summer season is not only good for the body, but is good for the hair too. Water can easily replace the lost water from the body and its benefits for the hair as well.
- Hair sunscreen: Our scalp needs to be protected from the sun like the rest of our body parts. Applying a sunscreen with an SPF to the head is a way to reserve extra protection to the hair.
Taking care of your hair in the summer is easy. Protect your hair against summer heat with these simple summer hair care tips that will keep your hair healthy and strong through the harsh summer months.
What is your favorite summer hair care tip? Share with us in the comments section below!